Guilt
Job interview today. I suspect I nailed it. Got a lot of "yep, that's a good point" looks as I was talking. Came home and got a call for another.
Now comes the guilt. I know I don't really want these jobs. I only need an income until I start my Masters in fall. I feel guilty taking a job knowing that they are going to train me and I'm going to ditch them in 4 months.
Interestingly enough, I've rarely sensed the same kind of loyalty in many employers. My last employer didn't hesitate long enough to sniff before deciding not to renew my contract (and thus make me the scapegoat for her own incompetence).
I leave it to you dear reader. Is there an ethical problem with taking a job without having an intent to keep it long term?
Now comes the guilt. I know I don't really want these jobs. I only need an income until I start my Masters in fall. I feel guilty taking a job knowing that they are going to train me and I'm going to ditch them in 4 months.
Interestingly enough, I've rarely sensed the same kind of loyalty in many employers. My last employer didn't hesitate long enough to sniff before deciding not to renew my contract (and thus make me the scapegoat for her own incompetence).
I leave it to you dear reader. Is there an ethical problem with taking a job without having an intent to keep it long term?


2 Comments:
Is it contract, full time or part time?
If it is full time, then most employers expect long term commitments. If contract, they are usually for a term anyway. If part time, them consider it part time that you are leaving in 4 months... you won't be there "full time". No guilt as long as you give proper notice (one pay period in advance - generally this is 2 weeks)
I know what I would do.
Its a fifty-fifty guess really!
But who cares what I would do...
The question is, what are you going to do???
The plot thickens...
The suspense builds...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home