Mind in transition

This blog is about me, my family, and my social work career.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

I'm confused, but still faithful; opinionated, but still thoughtful; steady, but still growing.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Trip back part 2


Here's the school (well - the school site, almost none of it is the same building as when I went there) where I first felt the sting of rejection - again and again and again. I find myself wondering if people who live there now feel the same way, or have things changed? Have the people I grew up with changed? Would they respect me now? Should it really be something I still think about after 20 years? (Give it up, Jude)

The new arena. I've never been in it. The one used when I lived there was old and ratty. I'll bet this one is the town's pride and joy. Can one grow up in a small town without loving hockey and be accepted?





And the hustling, bustling Central Avenue. Okay, to be fair, I did take this in the early evening. But honestly, there's not that many more cars at 2 pm. Yet it is a thriving town, with at least 4 major businesses that employ a good part of the population. That seems to be key for small towns - to survive, have one or more major businesses that can keep employing people as all the small farms get swallowed up.


This is the infamous Not-A-Road. It sure looks like a road, doesn't it? But it's not.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mercy said...

good questions!
I do think that a new arena is a small town's pride and joy. I felt an outcast too as I didn't care for hockey one whit.

I am quite glad to leave the past of small town behind. Probably the difference was that I didn't grow up there all my life and was able to look upon all the ridiculousness with hauty distain (a real out of town snob :P)

9:26 PM  
Blogger Jude said...

That's what I need to try, some good old fashioned hauty distain. Teach me, oh wise one.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

By Not-a-road, you mean it leads no where because it sures looks like a road!
But I am an ignorant outsider, so you'll have to educate me...roadwise.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Jude said...

It's the "road" leading to the farm yard, which we cannot legally sell as of yet because there's no real road going to it - we found out that it's not legally a road. It is now in the process of becoming a real road because the municipality is going to buy it from the surrounding landowners.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Ohhhh...I see!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home