Attachment parenting - yes, again!
We're back from Saskatchewan. Did you miss me? Did you know I was gone?
I was just reading on Joy's blog about a book she read on attachment parenting. Got me thinking about something that happened when we were away.
The kid's bedtimes got really screwed up as was inevitable - they were in the same room as their cousins who were operating on BC time. One night during bedtime routine Taryn was grouchy, demanding, and even called me an idiot.
I discussed this with Rob, within her earshot, of how we would handle it. A time-out was suggested. But I really didn't want my daughter to change her attitude because she got punished, I wanted her to change her attitude because she doesn't want to treat me that way.
So I said to Rob, again within earshot, that I thought Taryn probably feels pretty bad about calling me an idiot, because she loves me after all, and that I hoped she would decide to do something different. Then I left to go brush my teeth.
Pretty soon a couple of little notes came my way. One said Sorry for being rude. The other said I want cuddles.
I'm starting to experience the wisdom of parenting out of relationship rather than consequences.
I was just reading on Joy's blog about a book she read on attachment parenting. Got me thinking about something that happened when we were away.
The kid's bedtimes got really screwed up as was inevitable - they were in the same room as their cousins who were operating on BC time. One night during bedtime routine Taryn was grouchy, demanding, and even called me an idiot.
I discussed this with Rob, within her earshot, of how we would handle it. A time-out was suggested. But I really didn't want my daughter to change her attitude because she got punished, I wanted her to change her attitude because she doesn't want to treat me that way.
So I said to Rob, again within earshot, that I thought Taryn probably feels pretty bad about calling me an idiot, because she loves me after all, and that I hoped she would decide to do something different. Then I left to go brush my teeth.
Pretty soon a couple of little notes came my way. One said Sorry for being rude. The other said I want cuddles.
I'm starting to experience the wisdom of parenting out of relationship rather than consequences.


3 Comments:
I had to think about that one. There were parts that were very enjoyable, although I always find being with my mother to be a stressful experience. I'll write more about it another time.
that iz so sweet Judi, such a cute story, I even shared it w/ Shelley, the wisdom of parenting, in that case it is so easy to immediately 'time out' think about what you are doing scenario.. but you didn't!!
That is wonderful.
"I want cuddles"--how cute it that?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home