Mind in transition

This blog is about me, my family, and my social work career.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

I'm confused, but still faithful; opinionated, but still thoughtful; steady, but still growing.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The coaltion

I laughed in delight when I heard about the coalition between the Liberal and NDP and chuckled at the sputtering of one Conservative minister saying something about "big spenders" and "big spending" (wonder if he failed creative writing in elementary school). I think the doomsday prophecies are totally out of line.

Here's my thinking:
1. The majority of Canadians did not vote for the Conservatives, their vote was split between the other parties. Cooperation between those parties could serve the important interets of them all, and would certainly bring some interests that are important to many Canadians but ignored by Conservatives (like child care)
2. I definitely did not vote for the Conservatives. I was in the anybody but the Conservatives camp. Conservatives by and large stand for the "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" philosophy (ignoring that many people don't even have bootstraps), economic policies that has been shown the world over to make the rich richer and the poor poorer (the kind of policies that Bush used and we all know how well that turned out), and ideology that has been proven unfounded by social research (the idea that we will thrive if gov't just gets out of the way).
3. We may be in for a long season of no party being able to gain a majority. If we want to see any progress in this country it will have to come through inter-party cooperation, and Conservatives are too ostrich head in the sand don't show me the facts cause I like my opinion to actually play well with others in the sandbox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home