halloween
I know it's a pagan and occultic holiday, I know it's a celebration of evil and death.
But what a riot!
Taryn wanted to be a princess. Ashlin said Taryn's old leopard costume was "too fuzzy" and handed me a scarf from her play clothes box. So what would that be? Scarf girl? Got the idea to do a robot, instead. I was so creative! Pipe cleaners and milk jug/pop bottle caps made great robot knobs. A manilla folder, aluminum foil and glitter made a crown. (This must be what it feels like to be Yvonne!)
We went out trick or treating. The first stop was a lovely older lady with a british accent who called the kids Loves. They wouldn't say anything! Just stared at her and held out their plastic pumpkins. Slowly, oh so slowly they got into it, and by the end when a huge gorilla came to the door they smiled and yelled trick or treat and said thank you oh so sweetly.
I couldn't help but think what a strange occassion this is. People who normally won't make eye contact on the street are talking and laughing and saying how much they like each others' costumes. We're going up to the doors of perfect strangers and they're giving us things to eat!
This day looks like community.
I know a lot of Christians won't "celebrate" this day, and some take pains to let the world know it.
But me, I think Jesus would go trick or treating.
But what a riot!
Taryn wanted to be a princess. Ashlin said Taryn's old leopard costume was "too fuzzy" and handed me a scarf from her play clothes box. So what would that be? Scarf girl? Got the idea to do a robot, instead. I was so creative! Pipe cleaners and milk jug/pop bottle caps made great robot knobs. A manilla folder, aluminum foil and glitter made a crown. (This must be what it feels like to be Yvonne!)
We went out trick or treating. The first stop was a lovely older lady with a british accent who called the kids Loves. They wouldn't say anything! Just stared at her and held out their plastic pumpkins. Slowly, oh so slowly they got into it, and by the end when a huge gorilla came to the door they smiled and yelled trick or treat and said thank you oh so sweetly.
I couldn't help but think what a strange occassion this is. People who normally won't make eye contact on the street are talking and laughing and saying how much they like each others' costumes. We're going up to the doors of perfect strangers and they're giving us things to eat!
This day looks like community.
I know a lot of Christians won't "celebrate" this day, and some take pains to let the world know it.
But me, I think Jesus would go trick or treating.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home