Discourse for disillusioned, disconnected disciples
I've had a thought for awhile about the way I have been experiencing the church culture, and the common messages I've heard about many others. I've decided to put it out there and see what kind of response I get.
What I hear from many people is a general disillusionment and disconnection from the institutional church. Responses vary from gritting one's teeth and keeping going to trying a new place to stopping going all together (with or without a sense of guilt). But no response seems to satisfy.
People seem to understand that the form of church doesn't seem to be meshing with the function. But few of us have many ideas about how to approach the issue for ourselves.
My mind was really going on this yesterday, which could have been the Holy Spirit and could have been the sleeplessness from T3s. But I came up with the above phrase above: "Discourse for disillusioned, disconnected disciples". The idea is simple: start gathering people together who are in a similar place, in hopes that through the conversation, we can start to make sense of our situations and figure out how to address it.
What this is:
What I hear from many people is a general disillusionment and disconnection from the institutional church. Responses vary from gritting one's teeth and keeping going to trying a new place to stopping going all together (with or without a sense of guilt). But no response seems to satisfy.
People seem to understand that the form of church doesn't seem to be meshing with the function. But few of us have many ideas about how to approach the issue for ourselves.
My mind was really going on this yesterday, which could have been the Holy Spirit and could have been the sleeplessness from T3s. But I came up with the above phrase above: "Discourse for disillusioned, disconnected disciples". The idea is simple: start gathering people together who are in a similar place, in hopes that through the conversation, we can start to make sense of our situations and figure out how to address it.
What this is:
- a chance to talk about our experiences
- a chance to dialogue about our thoughts
- a chance to vision what the future can look like and get support for whatever we may feel God puts on individual's hearts
What this is not:
- this is not to start a local body/house church
- this is not a permanent fixture, but a meeting that could happen an indeterminent number of times, depending on how it is meeting a need.
So, I put it out there, and would like to hear back from people if it is something that interests you. This is an invitation that can be passed along to others.


2 Comments:
I should tell you Jude, that I've been reading your blog for about a year now and have come to appreciate you as one of the best and most thoughtful writers out there. At first I thought that I liked your writing because I like you but it is much more than that. You are genuinely talented and a pleasure, albeit sometimes provoking pleasure, to read.
Thanks for that comment. It's great to know when something on my mind connects with someone else.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home